Saturday 28 March 2009

Mother Nature


I suppose many of us could be forgiven for thinking Spring had arrived here judging by the lovely weather we had last week and at the beginning of this - once again we were fooled! Despite the blooming daffodils and other spring flowers Mother Nature dealt us a blow with some really cold winds, very heavy showers and grey skies!

I have completed a piece today and have submitted it for two challenges.

The theme at Awfully Big Art Adventure was set by Patty and it was to 'alter cutlery'.
Heather had set a theme of 'Mother Nature' on the Saturday Surprise blog.

Having viewed some amazing pieces of altered cutlery on other blogs I managed to dodge the husband before he put locks on the kitchen drawers and found a couple of old forks. Unfortunately, the forks weren't old enough because they were almost impossible to bend!! (They must have been nickel plated.)

Undeterred I managed to bend the tines on one even if it wasn't to the shape I wanted!

I alcohol inked the fork using 'Lettuce, Meadow and Ginger' inks. I made Mother Nature in the centre of the fork with a Sculpey head (smudged suitably using a felt pen before colouring the mouth and eyes), and made her hair from a collection of fabric leaves wound onto long wires. The wires I then wound to create arms and legs. I added a sparkly dragonfly a shell shaped flower with a silver ladybird charm and the words Create and Grow which to me represent Nature. Finally I put the little foam bird onto the top of the fork with a few tiny twigs and a piece of green wool to try and represent a nest.

This was one of those things where I was quite surprised that it turned out not bad for a first attempt.

31 comments:

Rosie said...

Love it Viv, especially the way you have carried the nature theme through. Gorgeous work and thanks for taking part in our challenge.
Love
Rosie ABAA

Genie said...

Beautiful piece Viv. i dont know about locks on the kitchen drawers DH will be locking me up soon!! hehe

Jan said...

This is fantastic Viv! Well done xx

RubyMay said...

Oh well done you for managing to bend your fork !
I think this is wonderful and a lovely nature piece.
I have to agree with Genie about us all being locked up HeHe...but its the best fun ever !
Thanks for sharing your beautiful piece ....I love it x

Sherry said...

That's wonderful Viv - I love it. I hadn't fancied altering cutlery but having seen yours and some others I may change my mind now!

Maureen said...

Really well done Viv,hope Graham approves!!

Lynn said...

I just love your altered fork, super work, it's wonderful to see how everyone creates such beautiful pieces of art with cutlery :)

Pattie said...

LOVE love this,whatever next lol,such a beautiful piece of artwork that was a fork lol,thats given me an idea for hanging my pieces of artwork on that I receive.......now look what you done !inspired and on the fork hunt,forget the beercans LOL

Heather Robinson said...

Oh I got so excited when I saw this altered fork, Viv! Bravo for such an amazing creative idea! So glad that you managed to conquer the bending! You've captured nature so beautifully in this piece!

Kris Dickinson said...

Such a wonderful whimsical and inspired piece Viv! WOW!~

~*~Patty S said...

Oh my goodness Viv! Your fork is just splendid! You must do another and another, every detail is just perfection = SO wonderful!
I find I often have to talk myself out of altering certain pieces of cutlery now....nothing is safe :)
Silver and silverplate pieces cooperate the best for bending my dh tells me!

June said...

Loving this one Viv. I like the leaves and the colours of this altered fork, Beautiful and ornamental and definitely worth dodging the hubby for lol
Hugs June x

Deby said...

Wow! This is so cute and different! What a great creative mind you have! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Not bad? I think it turned out wonderful!

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous, Viv! What a gorgeous creation!

Hugs, Vanja

Esther said...

your mother nature is stunting!!! bravo c'est magnifique!!

DF - Heidi said...

this is outrageoulsy!!!sp ruddy mind blowing awesome

Val Foster said...

This is a awesome piece. Kudos to you.

Debby said...

Hmmmm. Alcohol inking the silverward. Does it wash off I wonder? I love this effect and Mother Nature is beautiful. You should submit this for publication.

Anonymous said...

Oh Viv, this is wonderful! Love the thought of Spring! I like how you bent your fork..reminds me of a hand.

I am so ready for Garage Sales...I will be looking for cutlery.

Amy said...

wow, this is really unique! Great inspiration to think out of the box! Great work

Diane said...

Just a perfect artistic statement of Spring and Nature both!

Deborah March said...

DELICIOUS piece!

Leslie said...

Wow Viv! You have been doing some serious altering! So unique and beautiful. Hugs to you, Leslie

June Nelson said...

Now that is just fantastic, I love the new stuff your doing Viv, big change from atcs lol, thanks also for me vote of 9 on me no mouther lol, goonna see sassy monday for two nights........shes got champagne yee haaaa, he he hope your ok huggies j\une xxxx

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne said...

Wow this is astonishing. Hadn't thought that alochol inks would "take" on a fork. Betcha can't get into the cutlery drawer now - banned!!

Fabulous piece of art Viv...

Jaqi said...

WOW , LOVE YOUR ALTERED CUTLERY IT LOOKS SO ENCHANTING. WELL DONE , Jaqi

Mescrap said...

Whoa !!
Gorgeous work !! I love how you bring out the title..relate to nature.

Barbara Hagerty said...

Your spoon is positively magic! I LOVE it!!

And I love the music on your blog,too. "You'll Never Walk Alone" by Gerry and the Pacemakers was the "B" side of the 45-RPM of "Ferry Across The Mersey" in the U.S., and I wore that record out listening to it constantly!

Fiona said...

Wow a first attempt! Its fab - I've just spotted altered cutlery on the blogs and fancy having a go - yours is inspiring