Wednesday 25 February 2009

The Perilous Sea

This is my first attempt at altering a tin. I have wanted to try something like this for ages and last week managed to get hold of some old small tins. After picking the brains of nearly every person I know who likes to alter stuff asking daft questions like 'how do you get the glue to stick ' and 'do I use primer or can I paint straight on it', my patient (if long suffering) fellow crafters gave me lots of encouragement and lots of useful tips!
So with tin on the desk I then sat and stared at it whilst I decided on a theme. I had bought the metal mermaid recently with no particular project in mind, but decided to use it as a base for the 'tin adventure'! I have seen lots of projects where mermaids are seen as 'cutesy' but I wanted this tin to reflect something a little darker. One of the greatest sights is surely watching huge white frothy waves crashing onto a shore and it reminds me of how powerful the sea can be. So with that in mind, on the inside of the lid I tried to portray the image of the ship sinking (by the small hand painted miniature- not painted by me I hasten to add!), and above I added the 'Sailor's Hymn' music sheet which was distressed with 'antique linen', and the cross.
The base of the tin was made by using tissue paper painted with acrylics then the gold glitter added to give a 'sand' effect. I used a heat gun on the base and mixed some 'Tropic Blue' shimmer powder onto it whilst heating.
I hand painted the little metal mermaid, sat her on some shells and positioned her above the sunken ship - this can be interpreted either be her being the bringer of bad luck to the ship and it's crew, or as the beautiful rescuer of stricken sailors.
On the outside lid I placed some string through the metal anchor running it around the wording. Finally I added some shells, sticking a small pearl in the centre of one of them.
I was really apprehensive about tackling something like this, particularly as a lot of my friends have made some tins into beautiful art objects, but it gave me great pleasure to do!

Theme Thursday have set the theme of 'Nautical' today! So have submitted this for the challenge.











23 comments:

Unknown said...

having just come across this little masterpiece.... matey!! ship ahoy!! or abandon ship i think...crikey its fabulous....lv sassxx

Tristan Robin said...

This is fab! Wonderful bits and pieces in a terrific composition. I love it!

Thanks for visiting my blog - and, yes, Dusty looks like a proper "indoor" dog again LOL

Unknown said...

This is fabulous Viv - I have yet to venture into this challenge -

Tam Hess said...

Great job! It's fun to think "outside the box" don't you think? ;) xoxo

Sherry said...

Fantastic tin Viv - looks like I'll be coming to you for help when I start mine!

Stempelfrosch said...

Fantastic tin !
LG Anke

José said...

This is looking good! It inspires me!

Anne said...

Oh, wow, this is amazing Viv! Real inspiration :)

Buffy said...

Wow, such a gorgeous tin, love every detail of it.

K said...

love your tin! well done!

Shelly Hickox said...

WOW! This is a gorgeous piece. Fantastic work!

indybev said...

Beautiful altered tin! Fits the nautical topic to a "T" !

Sarah said...

This looks like you have been doing these forever....beautiful first attempt. Something I have not tried yet but you inspire me!!

Lynn Stevens said...

Afer I saw the inside. It was WOW. Wonderful

Anonymous said...

Viv, what a great altered tim. you did a beautiful job.
Faye

Taluula said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

burrum said...

You have done a great job on this Viv.
I have a sardine tin that I have saved and need to get some ideas together as to how to embellish it.

Maureen said...

It's brilliant Viv!!

~*~Patty S said...

Your mermaid tin is stunning!

Debby said...

Well it looks like expert material for me. You do have a fabulous eye.

Virginia said...

Fantastic!!

Sian said...

This is fantastic. I love it!

Rosie said...

That's so sweet - love how it opens up and reveals more of the story.